The Mancos Project

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blog Training - Day 1

So today is my first day of training and also recording some insight. I've concluded that this (blogging) is an excellent tool for runners to let themselves disperse their thoughts in a collective way. Although this is the first day of recording some of my running online...although I also use "Google Docs" to record my mileage...I am in the midst of my marathon training for the summer. I'm going to be well over 70 miles for the week. Yesterday I did some mile repeats. I notice that yesterday was definitely by far the most sluggish my legs have felt thus far this summer. Regardless, I was still running my splits a hell of a lot faster than in June. I've grown akin to not just doing mile repeats, but incorporating 200 meter repeats, along with 400s and 800s. I don't usually do 1200 meter repeats though for some reason. I guess I would just rather go that extra lap.

Yesterday I was hitting my 200s in about 30-32 seconds. I only did 4 total. I figure 200s are a good way to wakeup the legs. It wasn't until halfway through my 800 meter repeats until I realized that my legs did not feel fresh at all. Nonetheless, when I went through the first lap in 67 seconds, I was under my 2:20 mark for an 800 meter repeat. I did 2x800m repeats. The first in 2:16 and the second in 2:20. In between the 800s I did 2 mile repeats. The first in 4:50 and the 2nd in 4:49. They weren't the fastest mile repeats I've done this summer, but at least I ran them at a consistent pace. After the 2 mile repeats I took some extra time on the track to let my legs recover for a bit. I wanted to run this last mile repeat at least in the vicinity of 4:50. I took off a little faster than normal...I knew this would be my last mile repeat for the evening. Went through the halfway point exactly in 2:20. Great! The third lap was a little slower feeling the lactic acid starting to settle in. I push forward however and ignore the quickening of my respiratory system. This hasn't been one of my superman workouts, but I'm determined to finish strong. As I hit the final 100 meters of the track I just let loose. Click the watch as I cross the line in 4:44. I'm happy...or content would be a better word I guess. I finish with a cool down and stretching. When it's all said and done I put in a solid 10 1/2 miles for the day.

Usually the day after I do a good speed workout I like to run at a long distance and at a fast tempo. Penn State Behrend is approximately five miles from where I currently reside, so I have created a nice 10 mile loop for myself. I've run this loop probably about 4 times so far this summer. I usually do it once every other week and like to run it faster each time. As soon as I started my watch today I could tell that this run probably wasn't going to be as promising as I would typically like. Usually when I do a speed workout the day before, the next day my legs do feel a little tired, but also responsive in a sense because in stead of running at sub-5 minute pace, they are now running at either a high 5-minute pace or a low 6-minute pace. Today felt as if I was going at 7-minute pace, but hell, I cross the half way point in a little over 29 minutes, and the 2nd half is a little quicker on the way back. I pick up the pace a little on the way back, feeling revived by the notice of my watch that even though I feel like a slug, I'm running like a stud, haha. I finish the 10 mile loop in exactly 57:38 and start my cool down.

Maybe this is a good sign for the half-marathon coming up in exactly 10 days (July 20th). I'm running the Presque Isle half-marathon next Sunday. I want to get myself over 70 miles for the week and then take next week easier than the norm. I do notice a slight twitch in my achilles-tendon. I'm hoping to run the half-marathon in 1:12 at least, but I would really like to run a sub-1:10 and start hitting the pace for the qualifying time for the Marathon Olympic Trials. I ran a half-marathon in late March in 1:15:39, but the course had a nasty hill at the end and I ended up puking my Gatorade infested stomach half-way up. You can check out the results below:

http://runhigh.com/2008%20Results/2008%20Results%20A/R032908BD.html


I think I am going to stick with the speed workouts and tempo runs for right now. I would really like to get my 5k time down to sub-15. My PR just came a little over a week ago in 15:24 back near my hometown in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. My girlfriend, Christie, also ran her PR for the 5k. She's definitely the most impressive story between the two of us. She decided to run cross country for the first time in her life a little over a year ago. She had never been in a competitive race before her first cross country race last fall. In fact, she passed out the first race from the heat, but then came back the next race at the Notre Dame Catholic Cross Country Championships and ran a respectable 20:57. Last Wednesday...in Punxsutawney...she ran 18:26! Hopefully the success continues and the times keep getting lower for us both. Out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your Blog! Im sure you will go far with all the motavation that you have. Just do it!!!!