The Mancos Project

Monday, April 27, 2009

AOBC, Serbia, and WCAP Update

I am actually headed out for a run, so I will be quite rapid and forceful, as the lingo goes in Fort Knox at AOBC. My time has been extremely limited here in Fort Knox, Kentucky. I have been here since 11 January 2009 and haven't had a whole lot of extra time on my hands. In fact, I haven't even had extra time to normally continue my training. Armor Officer Basic Course has been rather demanding at times, if not physically, definitely mentally, and at least to the point where I have simply had just massive amounts of information jammed in my head.

As of right now I have completed all graduation requirements. I leave for the Gauntlet, which is a 10-day field training exercise, on Wednesday and the only thing keeping me from graduating on May 19th is a simple "GO" on my leadership evaluation. But I'm sure that "GO" is not going to be easily accessible and it is going to take all of the knowledge I have learned up to this point and I will have to apply it in a field-oriented, combat-tempo situation.

I'm praying that I have a good mission and that nothing disastrous happens out at the Gauntlet.

Even though running has possibly for the first time since I started had to take a backseat, I have ran 2 half-marathons, one in a personal best time of 1:09:53 and I participated in the 42nd annual CISM Marathon Championships, which was held in Belgrade, Serbia. I have also been accepted into the WCAP Program to begin training for the 2012 Marathon Olympic Trials. My training partners will be Nathan Pennington (2:19:35) and Troy Harrison (2:27) who will be running with me out in Fort Carson, Colorado. I couldn't be more pleased to have this opportunity in Colorado and it is honestly a dream come true. In my eyes, this is what I have worked so hard for up to this point in my life, and although I have posted some descent times and had some great highlights thus far in my career, I believe that once I begin my training in Colorado, I will reach a level that would never have been dreamed possible for me otherwise. It is almost as if God is standing by my side saying, "Alright Kenny, here's your chance." Coach Lisa Rainsberger, Olympic athlete and the 1985 Boston Marathon Champion and actually the last American female to win the Boston Marathon, will be my coach.

At this point in time, other than the fact that life has been a little tough here in Fort Knox, I have everything going in my favor for 2012.

Kfo.

I promise as soon as I get the opportunity to write more on here I will do so, but I have my own PCC to conduct later tonight and I want to get some running in before I go out to the field for 10 days.

No comments: